3Shape Trios Color Digital Impressions Falls Church,VA
In 2015, Dr. Gouldin and Dr. Carlos implemented the 3Shape Trios Color Digital Impression System into their practice. The doctors use this system for a variety of tasks, with the common theme of making dentistry more comfortable, accurate and time efficient for their patients, and for the referring dentists with whom they collaborate.
A digital impression is essentially an alternative for traditional impressions, eliminating the use of trays and flowable impression material that hardens in your mouth. A digital impression is instead a series of pictures that a computer ties together. Specifically, the TRIOS® system features Ultrafast Optical Sectioning technology, which means that the machine uses up to 1,000 3D pictures to create geometries based on real data. The scanner captures more than 3,000 2D images per second and does not require the doctors to apply powder to coat the patient’s teeth like other scanners, and this makes scanning faster, cleaner, and easier for patients. The doctors can preview the 3D images on the TRIOS screen, and if the scan is not perfectly correct, only the incorrect portion of the scan needs to be repeated. The TRIOS® then automatically inserts or “stitches” the new scan data in correct position, which is an amazing capability. Unlike traditional methods, an entirely new scan or “impression” is avoided!
So where might our doctors use this technology in your case?
- If you have a sensitive gag reflex, or any other condition, that limits your family dentist’s ability to take traditional impressions
- If you need an implant in the front part of your mouth, a TRIOS® scan could be performed to allow a local laboratory to fabricate a customized temporary crown within 1 day.
- On the day that we confirm that your dental implant is ready for the final crown, a TRIOS® digital impression can be made in our office. The data is immediately sent to the laboratory that your family dentist prefers, and your dentist and the lab design the restoration virtually. When you arrive at your dentist’s office, no traditional impression is needed, but instead, your dentist immediately delivers your custom crown and you are on your way.
- Our doctors also utilize this technology to create virtual wax-ups (a way to simulate the appearance and ideal position for your new crown or crowns) for your smile design, or to combine with CAT scan data for precise surgical guides for near zero deviation implant placement, among many other uses.
As a patient, this technology benefits you tremendously, and we are so pleased to be able to provide:
- a dental experience centered on comfort and efficiency
- a custom-made, final restoration with improved fit, aesthetics and health
- improved surgical and restorative results
- a reduced number of appointments, and
- reduced over-all chair-time during the surgical and restorative phases
Ask us more about this remarkable device – we are proud to show it off!