Bite Adjustment Falls Church, VA
Very few people in the world have what dentists consider a perfect bite. You can have a bite that is not perfect, but that is still quite healthy. A bite is considered to be healthy when all or most of the teeth are present and the bite functions with all the protective mechanisms intact. This means that the bite does not destroy itself with normal daily function. A bite is considered to be pathologic or destructive when the signs of tooth wear, mobility (looseness) or TMJ (jaw joint) damage are seen. Bite therapy is designed to regain a bite that can function without damage and destruction. Bite therapy may include some or all of the following:
- Bite adjustment or equilibration to divide the biting pressures evenly across all of the teeth. This is done by carefully reshaping the biting surfaces of the teeth and eliminating spots of excessive pressures when the teeth are brought into contact.
- Bite splint therapy uses a custom fitted and adjusted plastic bite appliance (guard) to keep the teeth apart at night, during the day, or both.
- Orthodontic therapy (braces) to reposition mal-aligned or drifted teeth.
- Replacement of old, worn out or damaged restorations (fillings).
- Reconstruction of badly worn and damaged teeth.